Sunday, January 30, 2011

Open Cola


No review this time, I've got to mix it up every once and a while! In the software world there is a term called "Open Source Software". The idea is that instead of just getting a little program that gets sent out by the software company they also give out the source code which is basically the guts of the program. The opposite side of the coin is closed source or proprietary software like Windows, where nobody but the company has the guts available to them.

So the idea behind open cola is that when you buy a coca cola the ingredients are listed as "natural and artificial flavorings" which means only the Coca Cola company knows the guts and the recipe. Open Cola is a recipe to make your own cola, that anyone can use.

It's interesting in that for one thing it's a straight forward recipe to good soda that you can make yourself. It also means that you can tweak it. Ever wanted to taste orange coke? Lemon Lime coke? No problem, just change the recipe and double your orange or lemon and lime or whatever extracts, suddenly you have a whole knew and uniquely delicious flavor!

I definitely have interest in producing this. I'm thinking I'll probably make the investment over the summer. I'll make a review then and also keep you all up to date on what I'm up to. I think that it the recipe online makes gallons and gallons, so it's definitely advised to have some way of selling the product rather than just drink it all on your own. If you make it you will also come to the unfortunate conclusion that soda is basically just as much sugar as you can possibly dissolve into water with some flavoring.

It was produced but not very widely available. Only 150,000 cans were ever sold of the original recipe, however who knows how much was actually made.

Here's the wikipedia article for further information.

1 comment:

  1. I make my own homemade soda, and 3 gallons of mix produces about 2.6 gallons-between me, my wife and 2 out of my 3 children we went through 28 bottles in a little under a week. So, if you're looking at a 5 gallon recipe(which I think is what I saw for Open Cola), then you're probably going to yield about 45 bottles, and that'll carry you and a few friends through about 2 weeks of soda that just gets better and better as you go(if you home carbonate with yeast). My site might have some useful pointers for you.

    ReplyDelete